Wednesday, January 5, 2011

January 1st - Double Race Day!!!

So today was a very good day for me. I raced my 2nd 10k in 56:07, 3 minutes and 56 seconds faster than my first 10k (Bridge of Flowers). It felt great. I ran pretty much the entire race with Jess Costa. It was great to have someone to talk to throughtout the race. We ran solid 9s almost the whole way. I was very impressed with my time and happy that I was able to break 1 hour.

After that was done, I made my way ALL THE WAY DOWN MAMMOTH ROAD, to run the Millenium Mile... After that nice 16 mile drive, I registered for the race. Thinking it was only $15, that's all I brought with me inside. I went to sign up but it was $18 on race day. So, I had to run back to my car to get more money. Taking a good 15 minutes, I stood in line and waited to sign up. I then went back to my car to put my phone and keys away and jogged to the starting line. Waiting for the gun to go off, I chatted with my friend Michele and her friend Jeanine. We waited a few more minutes for the gun to go off. Finally, we slowly jogged to the starting mat and then we took off. I started off at a 6 minute mile pace. I said to myself "This is too fast." I had planned on running 7 flat or better. Well, as I was running, I turned to Michele and said, "this isn't as easy as I thought it would be." As we passed the 1/2 and 3/4 markers, I looked down at my watch and realized I was doing a 6:39 pace. That was awesome. I picked up the pace in the last quarter of a mile and finished off with a 6:25 pace. My actual net time was 6:27. That was very surprising to me. I did not think I could break 6:30. That day for me brought two awesome accomplishments. I had a great start to the year of 2011.

4 comments:

  1. Great first post Deric! I look forward to hearing and witnessing the great year you are going to have running!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks... I am looking forward to posting some more soon. I am hoping to accomplish 1000 miles this year!!!

    ReplyDelete